Saturday, August 7, 2010

Thumbs up for the weekend


I owe Ant my weekends. She’s the mastermind who came up with the idea that has changed my Saturday nights forever...or until the kids grow up. With seven plus people in the house on any given night, dinner’s become a mass catering affair with yours truly being the head slave...I mean...”chef”. That’s all very well for Rachel Ray wannabes but I’m more of a Paris Hilton clone. I’d rather not actually work for my dinner. I was having a moan about this when Ant flicked the switch that turned on the light bulb by suggesting we introduce Pizza Night.  At first I wasn’t sure how this could work since I’m a coeliac and have to make my own gluten free pizza dough. When I tried to explain that I didn’t want to be spending hours making separate pizza Ant just rolled her eyes before pointing out the obvious: readymade pizza bases. Oh my gosh, you mean I can actually BUY those? I am living in a science fiction world! All I would have to do is make my own base, chop an onion and leave the kids to do the rest. Can kids cook? Yes they can! Even the 6 y/o and her 3 y/o visiting nephew have been into it.


No-mess, gluten free pizza dough rolling. Yay for shortcuts!

It's the stuff under the fingernails that gives the pizza that special seasoning :)
So now I’m having Saturday nights off. No standing over the stove stirring a big pot of mince and lentils (the lentils stretch the mince out, add nutrition and the kids don’t even notice them).  But something I love even more is that a new tradition has been created that is going to become one of those warm, fuzzy memories in another decade or so. I love watching the kids passing olives around, slicing their own ham and salami and just generally getting along. I also love that they help clear the table and do the dishes while the pizza’s cooking.

So now I’ve decided I want Sunday off as well. We already have Chip Sunday Lunch from the MacAnnalley Takeaway so without further ado, I’m proud to present...(fanfare please): Toasted Sandwich Night (with special thanks to The Warehouse for their $12.99 sandwich makers). Gluten free bread for me of course.

I wonder if Ant has any ideas on what I can do about the heap of washing down stairs? I’d ask her, but I don’t like to talk about my dirty laundry in public.

1 comment:

  1. Continue writing girlfriend, you are good at it!

    ReplyDelete